In the summer of 2014 my Husband and I decided to take a road trip down to the south of France from Sweden to soak up some sun, and as I was deciding which books to take, I picked up my copy of Alessandra Cave‘s gem, Shooting With Soul. I ended up completing a good number of the exercises in the book but instead of doing them in order, like the book suggests, I chose to complete them whenever I felt the opportunity presented itself during that time. I also used whatever I had available in terms of gear, which was not a lot and many times presented a really limiting challenge. I did not, and could not, complete all of the projects in the book on the trip, so I shall continue them now that we’re back home in Sweden. This image was completed at home.
Exercise 21: Work
A lot of people have quite a misinformed idea on what it’s like to be a Photographer. Some think that most of what we do is click a shutter for a few hours and then go home, job done. But it’s most often quite the opposite. Yes, we press that shutter, but when we get home, the job is not done. Not by far. We need to upload and backup the files we created on a shoot. We need to cull and edit them and then we need to retouch them if need be. Then, if you’re a wedding photographer like me, you make albums, thank you cards, canvas’, prints, etc and then you need to keep your website updated as well as your blog, and even maintain all your social media sites. Then you need to take calls and field an abundance of emails from both potential and past clients as well as all the rubbish that comes from people trying to sell you something. We deal with editors, sales agents, delivery guys, suppliers and we do our accounting most of the time, too. We maintain and keep clean all of our equipment, including cameras lenses, printers, computes, hard drives and everything in between. We do research and we take courses and read books to keep our knowledge current and relevant. Most of all of that, is done without pressing a shutter.
So, when us wedding photographers do a 12 hour wedding, we don’t hop straight into bed after leaving the job, we sit at our trusty desks with our workhorse computers and we make sure that those images we created at that wedding, or whatever job it was, are all backed up before we call it a night. So, what people actually SEE a photographer doing is really just about 20% of what’s involved in being a working photographer…. and given that most photographers work freelance, we also run our own businesses… it’s THAT… that makes up the other 80% of what we actually do.
My workspace might look a little untidy, but I know where everything is and because I am a visual person, I can’t live without post-its! So, this is what it looks like on a typical day for a freelance photographer. 🙂
Canon 5DMKII. Canon 24-70mm 2.8 @38mm. f/2.8, ISO 800, 1/100